Last updated on January 29th, 2023 at 10:22 am
These free murder mystery games will ensure that you have everything you need to throw a murder mystery dinner or party without spending the usual $20-$75 on a party kit that you’ll most likely only use once.
These games are suitable for 6-28 guests, so you should be able to find a suitable game regardless of the size of your party. Each game includes character descriptions and scripts, so your guests are ready to play. Free invitations, name tags, props, and other items are also available in some of the free games.
Free Murder Mystery Games List
- Sour Grapes of Wrath: This game includes an almost 70-page PDF file that includes planning instructions, party invitations, costume suggestions, name tags, rules, secret clues, maps, accusation sheets, suspect dossiers, and the solution.
- The Romanian Uranium Mystery: Here’s a very detailed murder mystery game that includes a scripted show, as well as an improved show, that’s set around your dinner party. You can pay a few bucks if you want a PDF.
- Way Out West: This one includes the setup, characters, script, clues, and more. There’s a version available for more than 10 guests if you need support for that many, but it’ll cost you.
- Jazz Age Jeopardy: Here’s a murder mystery that’s set in a 1920’s jazz club in New York City. The free PDF file includes an introduction, instructions, party guidebook, character sheets, clue cards, and voting sheets. Up to 15 people can play this one.
- Butler Kicks the Bucket: Download free murder mystery character cards and play Butler Kicks the Bucket murder mystery. There are cards for exactly 15 players, so if you have fewer, someone will have to play more.
- Mafia Party Game: A fun detective-style murder mystery game that’s for 7-24 players. It’s broken down into two parts: nighttime when the Mafia is looking to secretly murder, and daytime when everyone votes to eliminate suspects. You’ll need a deck of cards to play.
- Murder, She Wrote: This is a free printable that you can use to help Angela Lansbury crimes while binging Murder, She Wrote on Netflix. You’ll have to guess who the murder was, the motive, and the details of the killer. This murder mystery game can be played by yourself or with a whole group of friends gathered around the TV.
- The Business of Murder: This has everything you need to throw a very detailed murder mystery. Clues and invitations are all included in one convenient download. It’s for 7-8 players.
- The Movie Murder Mystery Party: 5-10 players can play this one. The backstory is that you’re celebrating the completion of a film with your cast and crew but then the director suddenly dies. Lucky for you, he hid lots of clues so you can play this scavenger hunt themed murder mystery. The download includes the premise, instructions on how to play, character descriptions, clues, scavenger hunt items, and ideas for awarding the winner.
- Malachai Stout’s Family Reunion: A fun, lightly-scripted murder mystery game set at a family reunion gone awry that can be played by 6-12 players. Includes hosting instructions, script, character sheets, clues, and solution.
- Crack the Codes: This murder mystery game is made to play in the classroom, although you certainly could play it at a party. A murder has been committed and you’ll need to use all your problem-solving and code-breaking skills to find out who the murderer was.
Young Detectives – Mystery Games for Kids
These free printable mystery games are focused on the little bit younger crowd, from teen to elementary age.
The One With The Tweens: If you have kids old enough to participate in a murder mystery game, this one is family-friendly; Aside from the murder part – which isn’t friendly, like ever. Anyways, this one can even be used for tween parties. You can go the extra mile and set up decorations like this family did for their tween’s dinner party. With shows like Riverdale and Stranger Things trending, it’s no wonder tweens are wanting to solve some murders.
Decode the Message: These messages take a little work to decode. Print out these fun games to solve the clues.
Secret Mission Party: The most important thing to set up is the Mission Envelopes. Our envelopes – and so many other things for this party – come from the Dollar Tree.
Detective Search: Download and print the detective puzzle for kids. The child can read the directions or you can explain that there were some eyewitnesses who reported to the police that 6 people stole a highly valuable diamond necklace. The job of your special detective is to locate and number the suspects based on the eyewitnesses descriptions to the police.
Check out these fun Murder Mystery Printable props to add to your festive party.
More Party Game Ideas You’ll Love
- Harry Potter Birthday Games: Where are my true Harry Potter fans at? I mean I have seen every movie, read every book, and have taken every possible BuzzFeed quiz ever made, so I guess you could say I am a pretty big fan myself. Whether you’re a Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, or Hufflepuff these Harry Potter Birthday Party Games are PERFECT for you!
- Fun Camping Games for Kids & Adults – It’s that time of year! The time of year where all I can think about is sitting fireside roasting marshmallows and watching fireflies. One of my favorite things about summertime camping is all the campsite games to be played! Here is a list of 53 fun camping games for kids and adults!
- Best Family Board Games – This list of the best family board games is my tried and true for every family game night. But don’t worry, if you have little ones in your house we came up with the perfect list for you too!
List of free virtual murder mystery games
If you want to give virtual murder mystery games a test first, then try a free activity. Best of all, you can preview the materials so that you can choose a game your party is sure to like.
1. Butler Kicks the Bucket
Butler Kicks the Bucket consists of cards to read aloud, but you could easily copy and paste lines to email or private messages. In this virtual murder mystery game, players must figure out which socialite or celebrity poisoned the butler. Using breakout rooms to mingle in small groups lengthens the game, and encouraging characters to improvise lines and interactions based on the cards adds to the fun. To set the atmosphere, ask attendees to dress in costume and choose appropriate Zoom backgrounds.
Learn more about Butler Kicks the Bucket.
2. Sour Grapes of Wrath
Sour Grapes of Wrath tells the tale of a murder at a winery. The characters are a distraught widow, and six shady visitors, one of whom is a cold-blooded killer. This free, downloadable, online murder mystery game contains nearly 70 pages of clues, directions, scripts, character background, and party-planning tips. Virtual or Zoom party guests can access the guide with a simple click of a button.
Learn more about Sour Grapes of Wrath.
3. The Movie Murder Mystery
The Movie Murder Mystery game prompts guests to point fingers at the killer of a famed director. The possible culprits are Hollywood types: actors, crew members, a writer, and a reporter. Players mingle with one another based on assigned personality traits. The hosts drop clues about the murderer such as, “the murderer is not married,” and “the murderer does not have a pet spider,” and guests must narrow down the list of suspects based on these hints. The game leader can use online breakout rooms and the chat feature to facilitate the game in a virtual setting.
Learn more about The Movie Murder Mystery.
4. The Little Engine That Could Kill
Murder on the Orient Express fans will love The Little Engine That Could Kill. This virtual murder mystery includes a killing on a train going from India to Portugal. The game materials include character profiles for each of eight characters, which you can share with your crew online via Google Doc.
Learn more about The Little Engine That Could Kill.
5. Jazz Age Jeopardy
Jazz Age Jeopardy is a free murder mystery game for up to 15 players. The story follows the plight of a party that is interrupted by a murder. Participants play as gangsters, bootleggers, and entertainers. Because the club is a speakeasy in the middle of Prohibition, the stakes are even higher. The basic version of the game includes a 90 minute script. For an additional fee, players can access a game script for up to 100 people that also includes bonus materials.
Learn more about Jazz Age Jeopardy.
6. The Business of Murder
The Business of Murder is a dramatic, Clue-style online mystery game for seven players. The game is designed to last for two to four hours. To organize the game virtually, download the zip file, assign parts, divide up the materials, and email the corresponding information to each player. Instead of reading from a script, participants will improvise from character profiles and uncover clues from interactions. This game format works best for a small group that likes acting. The game plays up the intrigue by using a decoy so that the murder comes as a surprise to the players.
Learn more about The Business of Murder, and you can develop your game skills by doing improv activities.
7. Way Out West
Way Out West transports players to the year 1884, to a small town called Cactus Gulch. Participants play as saloon owners, rail hands, and ranchers. The free version of this online murder mystery suits up to ten players, and an expanded version for up to 24 is also available. The game lasts up to four hours, so we recommend planning accordingly. The game includes a free downloadable PDF.
Learn more about Way Out West.
8. Murder Mystery Party for Teens
While many online murder mystery games have adult themes and jokes, the content of this game is appropriate for teenagers and pre-teens. The story starts with the reading of the will of a deceased Baroness. As the plot progresses, the characters question the circumstances behind the wealthy woman’s death. The game includes special invitations and instructions for each character, and is available in several languages.
Learn more about Murer Mystery Party for Tweens.
9. Print & Play Database
If you are in the market for free mystery games, then this database is a valuable resource. The spreadsheet contains thousands of live action role play games, many of which are online murder mysteries. The file displays the script language, game duration, and minimum and maximum number of players for each game. So, it is easy to find an online or Zoom-friendly game that suits your party. Some games post a small fee or suggested donation, and many activities on this list are free to download.
Checkout the Print & Play database.
More online murder mystery games
From subscription boxes, to digital board games, to writing tutorials, here is a list of resources that provide unconventional approaches to online murder mysteries.
10. Clue Season Pass
Clue is the world’s most popular murder mystery game. Folks who have never played another murder mystery have probably played a round or two of Clue. Though your online friends or remote coworkers may not be able to assemble around the game board, you can still play together by downloading the game from Steam. A season pass will grant access not only to the traditional version of the game, but also to variations such as ancient Egypt, Sherlock Holmes, and vampire themed boards.
Learn more about the Clue season pass.
11. Murder Most Puzzling
If you know that your friends or coworkers will want to play more than one game, then consider investing in a murder mystery anthology. Buying a murder mystery book is an affordable and convenient way to access dozen of game options. Murder Most Puzzling is a collection of interactive detective stories full of puzzles, witty prose, and colorful illustrations. To facilitate the murder mystery online, download the Kindle edition, share the screen, and flip through pages together.
Buy Murder Most Puzzling.
12. You-Dunnit Tutorial
If you want to write your own virtual murder mystery game, then check out You-Dunnit’s tutorial. The post breaks down the writing process into easy-to-follow steps such as creating characters, setting the scene, and establishing motives. Plus, You-Dunnit offers a service to build your mystery game into an app so that your group can easily access the story online.
Read You-Dunnit’s murder mystery writing guide.
13. Murder Mystery Subscription Box
Part of the fun of playing online murder mystery games is using costumes and props. If you want to have a more immersive experience, then consider ordering a murder mystery subscription box. Boxes contain case files, props, dress-up pieces, and other fun items that elevate the experience of playing the game over Zoom.
Here are some boxes to consider:
- Deadbolt Mystery Society
- Hunt a Killer
- Murder Mystery in a Box
- Chilling Screams
- A Killing Affair
- Sleuth Kings
While some boxes are standalone cases, others are part of a series, with each box building off the last. Depending on the plan type, you could opt to receive a one-time package, or receive materials every month.
Whodunnit is a free smartphone app that organizes online murder mystery parties. With a simple tap of the screen, you can host or join a party, choose a theme, and arrange a Zoom call to resolve the plot. Guests use the app to vote on best actor, best dressed, and likely suspects throughout the game.
15. Edgar Allen Poe’s Murder Mystery Dinner Party
If your group prefers to be observers of virtual murder mystery parties rather than participants, then queue up the playlist for Edgar Allen Poe’s Murder Mystery Dinner Party. A comedy channel filmed this smart and hilarious mystery series that narrates the tale of a dinner party gone bad.
Poe invites famous writers like Emily Dickinson, Agatha Christie, Ernest Hemingway, and Oscar Wilde over for dinner, but guests start dying, and the literary geniuses must solve the crime in between exchanging witty quips. The total duration of this experience is around two hours.
Watch Edgar Allen Poe’s Murder Mystery Dinner Party.
Read also: Fortnite adds two powerful Thor: Love and Thunder skins.