Although we are in the beginning of October, it is still possible to enjoy delicious and wonderful meals . Blackberries are those wonderful edible fruits that, although they come from different botanical species, have all the common characteristics that they share almost to perfection. And although the blackberry season is between the months of August and September , a very good option for enjoying it all year round is to prepare a simple home blackberry jam .
How? The fact is that setting it up is very simple. It only takes 20 minutes of preparation and between 30-40 minutes of cooking. Better? It gives us the possibility to eat berries all year round, even when we’re not in default season.
- 1 kg of blackberries
- 1 kilo of sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pectin or agar powder
How to prepare blackberry jam
It is recommended to use fresh blackberries, this way we will make sure that they are fresh and in perfect keeping.
- Wash the blackberries well under water and clean them. Then pass it through the masher to crush it as much as possible. Spare.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze it to get the juice. Spare.
- In a perfect casserole for jam, put the mashed berries and sugar. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and thickener. It is necessary and recommended to allow it to rest all night, so cover and reserve it.
- The next day, put the stove on the fire and bring to a boil. Then cook all the ingredients on the fire, stirring occasionally with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Check consistency. If you want it a little thicker you can leave it a few more minutes on the fire.
- At the end of cooking foam (remove the foam that forms on top with the help of a slotted spoon).
- Place in glass jars with airtight seal caps. It is advisable to fill it almost to the brim, close the squeeze caps and then put them out. Store the jam until the jars are cool. Once cold, label each bottle with the date of packaging. Then you can keep it perfectly in the refrigerator.
What do I do if I want the jam to have a long shelf life?
If you want the jam to last longer in perfect condition, it is recommended to sterilize the glass jars in the water bath. To do this, you just have to put it in a tall bowl and cover with boiling water, leave it for 25 minutes. After this time, remove them from the bowl when the water has cooled.
Black jam recipe with agave syrup instead of sugar
If you want to offer another option for different jams, then we suggest another recipe that you will definitely like. On this occasion, we prefer sugar for agave syrup.
- 1 kg of blackberries
- 250 grams of agave syrup
- 100 ml of water
- 1 teaspoon of pectin
- juice of half a lemon
How to make blackberry jam with agave syrup
- Clean the blades well and wash them.
- In a bowl or casserole dish for jam and put the washed blackberries and lemon juice on low heat for 25 minutes. Remove from time to time with the help of a wooden spoon, to prevent the berries from sticking to the bottom.
- When the fruits are wet, add the agave syrup and thickener and bring to a high temperature until it begins to boil.
- With the help of the scraper, slowly remove the foam that forms on top. Cook for 10-11 minutes more.
- Once the jam is reached, the jam is still hot in glass jars with tight-fitting lids, almost on the edge, and sealed under pressure. Then put the jars or jars upside down.
- Put the label on the bottle with the date of packing.
- To keep it, once cool, you can reserve it in the refrigerator.
Read also: How to eat edamame deliciously? Boil vs frying pan